December 4, 2006

Best and Worst of 2006

Hello friends...

Perhaps, if you're a nerd like me, you spend December composing your Best of/Worst of the year lists. Here's my list thus far:

Best nonfiction books read in 2006 (regardless of pub date):
The Omnivore's Dilemma: Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
Pollan traces how 4 meals get to his plate, from the most horrific/unhealthy (i.e., Burger King), to one hunted and foraged for on his own; this book is both informative and entertaining.
Fragmented Metropolis by Robert M. Fogelson
An excellent history of Los Angeles.

Best Fiction books read in 2006 (regardless of pub date):
The Echo Maker by Richard Powers
This is the National Book Award winner, people! At first I I thought it a bit heavyhanded and overly symbolic, but then the narrative and the smarts sucked me in. I was really impressed with how Powers moved between the different characters and their stories.

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
Any book that describes every character's face, gait, and outfit is my cup of tea.

Sophie's Choice by William Styron
I listened to Madeline on this one, and was glad. What sentences! What a way to a story within a story! R.I.P., William.

Best Paparazzi Shot of 2006:
Britney post KF.
(Dude, you have to click on each individual photo!)

Worst Fashion Trend of 2006:
Women wearing shorts at night, with a pair of heels...what the f%#k is that about? Who goes clubbing in Bermudas?

2 comments:

Sobieski said...

B.'s vajeen looks elephantine.

Kiki Petrosino said...

Best title from this year's poetry worksheet: "Oh Girl, Do Not Cast Me From Your Presence."