December 12, 2006

For all you Ought Sixers in the NYC area


As most of you know, I'm one of the founding editors of Barrelhouse, an independent lit mag based in Washington, D.C. We recently put out our third print issue and are organizing a series of readings and parties in a few different places on the East Coast. Our Washington, D.C. event last month was a great success, in the sense that actual people came, they didn't boo us, and no one harassed the readers and demanded to "share their words." Also, there was acoustic hair metal.

Anyway, the point of all this is we're having another reading/party, Fri., Jan. 5 in New York at KGB Bar. (Is it KGB Bar? Just KGB? I'm so painfully unhip.) It'll run from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. I wish I could say it would go to the magical hour of Question Mark, which always denotes a truly great party, but unfortunately the KGB people are giving us a cut-off. Well, a cut-off for the official portion of the program; I imagine they'll let us drink as long as we want.

There will be readings. They will be brief, and amusing. There will be trivia, with prizes. There will be Ed Asner poetry. Yes, that's right: Ed Asner poetry. Do you think you could get Ed Asner poetry at a Paris Review reading? Please: you and I both know you could not.

Seriously, though, it should be fun. And it would be great to see any of you folks who are in the NYC area.

To recap:

What: Barrelhouse
Who: You, your literate friends
When: Fri., Jan. 5
When: 7 pm to 9 pm
Where: KGB Bar, NYC

No comments: