January 25, 2008

AWP in New York: Anyone else going?


Unfortunately, this year's AWP conference is in the actual New York City, instead of the far-superior simulacrum that sits atop the Nevada desert, pictured at left (in Vegas New York, there are free drinks, nudie bars, and you can hop a tram to Paris. In Real New York, drinks cost approximately $15 a piece, Giuliani got rid of all the good nudie bars, and you can catch a tram to ... Queens? C'mon. It's really no contest).

Still, I'll be there, in Real New York, wearing a full suit of body armor, a gas mask, and an "I heart NY" ballcap (so the cabbies will think I'm local and not try to rip me off or kidnap me on behalf of Al Qaeda).

Anyone else going? If so, stop by the Barrelhouse booth and say hello. We've also got the KGB Bar reserved Thursday night (Jan. 31) from 7:00-9:00 pm for a cocktail party and reading, featuring fellow 'Oughter Lee Klein, as well as Greg Ames, Ada Limon and Barbara Duffy. Come out for good times! There won't be craps, or Pai Gow poker, but if you ask nicely I just might lube myself up with bourbon and sing a couple Celine Dion numbers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be marooned in Oberlin, OH that weekend, perfecting my syllabus and crying because it's my birthday (2/2! Send gifts!)and I'm, well, marooned in Oberlin, OH. Have fun, though!

Also, Mike, did Barrelhouse ever judge that pop culture essay contest, or what?

Mike Ingram said...

There may be some news coming on that very, very shortly, BA, which is all I can say at the moment.

Happy pre-birthday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Tell your future wife I said hello!