I just found out that the movie "Away From Her," directed by actress Sarah Polley, is based on the Alice Munro story, "The Bear Came Over the Mountain." Has anyone seen it?
Also, I was thinking about various blogs/websites I go to when I'm supposed to be writing. Perhaps we can all share our lists, to help each other in procrastinating.
My favorites are:
Apartment Therapy
The Millions
The Superficial
Apron, Napkin (of course)
Counterbalance
Please share yours...
1 comment:
Do people read Alice Munro? Do people like her? I mean really, really LIKE her stories? Is that even possible? A former visiting professor once told me confidentially that s/he couldn't stand Munro, but s/he recommended her to students who wrote long, dull, domestic stories. I have tried several times to read some of her stuff (Progress of Love and Hateship . . . ), but every time I totally zone out because of floatingcloud-like sentences, not to mention subject matter. I am a virile man with a slight case of ADD who enjoys ample comedy mixed in with his literary tragedy. I am also from the east coast. I rarely overthink my apparently uncluttered ladyhood in Canada. Am I insane about Alice M? Too impatient? Too shallow, too? I can't really talk intelligently about her stories because I can't get through them. Can you? Have you? Thoughts? Recommendations? Help me with this long-lingering Munro problem. (And it is a problem, I think, when a writer's reputation soooooo doesn't jive with my response, because then I sort of lose faith in the world somewhat? Or maybe worse: I distrust my nose for the good, which for the unreligious among us is as close as one gets to an experience of God? [Some serious shit for a saturday, eh?])
Post a Comment